Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Eat, Pray and Lots of Love...

First of all thanks Kemptoo for reminding me to write this!!! I forgot to write an update piece about my broke leg saga lol... well here it is...
After my accident I was sent to Groote Schuure Hospital... Not too bad if you get past the boredom and begin to realise you’ve missed a few spots on the ceiling while counting them...
I was at the hospital for eight days, and let me tell, it’s no cake walk... If any of my friends land up in hospital, I will be there every day for both visiting hours... Unless you’ve been admitted to the hospital for longer than one day you won’t have a single clue how much a one hour visit means... even from people you don’t really like...
You are practically starved 90% of the time, because they need to do tests, you can’t even drink water and the worst thing is, if you have a broken leg, you have to take a dump in a bedpan... not cool... was constipated for seven out of the eight days I was there...
What happened was my ankle broke in two places and my tibia was sliced in half... The doc said I must have an op... Yay me... To fix the ankle bones, screws needed to be inserted into the bone to keep it there and to keep it stable (oh and most people ask if they come out... no they stay in till I kick the bucket...so basically I’ll be setting of airport alarms and US airport officials will probably do a cavity search to make sure I don’t have any illegal metals in my body... FML). The second part is I have a metal plate over the tibia, so that I can walk again... My doc let’s call him Dr Hairy Chest  said I have to wait for the swelling to go down before I can have the operation... the swelling took six days to de-swell only to swell up again after the op and pretty much remain swollen seven weeks later...
Crappy thing was I had my 22nd birthday on the Sunday, the day before my operation... It’s not cool to spend your birthday at the hospital, but when your friends throw you a small impromptu birthday party, you realise that it’s the little things that make the biggest difference... I wasn’t expecting that, so when I saw them I had to fight tears the entire time... Princess Minnie’s smile turned my upsetting day around, seeing Miss Dictator and Yugi Bear made me realise that my friendship with them will undoubtedly last a life time and when I saw Sherbert, I realised that no matter what happens, she’s always got my back. I swear that was the most touching birthday I’ve ever had. It even surpasses my 21st birthday... Even now I am fighting back the tears dying to escape my eyelids...
After the Birthday and the operation, I was in a crap load of pain... and what’s worse is that the morphine injection never helped one bit... I’m not kidding I had two morphine injections (not at the same time, six hours between each shot). Neither of them worked and the nurses refused to give me other medication, out of fear of overdosing.... (I suppose I should be grateful but I felt like dying really...) I was in uncontrollable pain for 14 hours until I decided to reject the useless morphine and opt of the second option, a tremadol and two panado’s... It worked... like seriously... I was in heaven...
Two days after the op, I had my first physio session and Dr Hairy Chest said if the physio clears me today I could go home... This was the ticket I’d been waiting for, so I decided I was gonna rock Physio session... I passed!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
Well this song pretty much sums up how I felt in the car going home:
George Michael : Freedom

Mr LoveLace out...

No comments:

Post a Comment