Monday, May 16, 2011

Would you date someone HIV positive?

I'm  not sure about the rest of the world, but I like to live in my head...

That may at times not be the best idea, but it's a habit of mine and I get to escape the world of reality, singlehood, lonelyhood and fridge-hood...

It's because of this habit, I tend to create scenario's in my head, sometimes I write them... I never post them though... I'd most likely land up institutionalised...

Anyways, one evening I was creating this scenario about me going to bar, where, like in reality, everyone ignores me, unless I make a huge ass out of myself... Which is more than likely to happen... sigh so carrying on with the story...

Anyways so there's this guy at the bar, who orders a beer at the same time as I order e a cranberry daiquiri... we both exchange looks, he's really good looking! Nice arms, chest hairs pop out from his shirt, the most browny-bedroom eyes ever... he's just plain gorge!

Obviously totally out of my league right... So I'm looking at him and he's looking at me... I pluck up the courage to say "Hi" or "Hello" a greeting of some kind, instead I just give a squeeky "Hey", he gives me a weird look and says "Hey" in return... out of shock thanks to my squeek I return to my stool of solo-ness... He approaches me and at first I'm surprised, we start talking, we get along, good chemistry... I find out he's a little weirdo too and that his second toes are longer than his big toe...I ask him, the question I hate being asked "why are you single???" He says: "I never used to be, I was the village slut, I just wanted sex and everybody was interested, now I want to settle down and nobody is interested"... (how cliche... I know... shut up okay its my head...)

Later that night I manage to sum up every inch of courage I have an I ask him out... He says to me, "I'd love to, but I'm HIV positive" (So cavalier!!!) Huge red flag!!! Ok maybe not red, more like maroon flag... I looked at him I said, " I don't mind, love is blind, just like HIV/Aids..."

Soon after I woke up at the sight of sister telling me about that night's episode of Vampire Diaries... she interrupts me for that!!! at least Tyler is hot...

Anyways thanks to that imaginary event, it got me thinking, would I actually date an HIV positive guy??? I know I portrait-ed the guy to be hot and HIV positive, but I know I'm not that shallow, looks mean little to me... although having a nice looking boy friend would be a plus :)

Back to the topic!!! Would I really date a guy with HIV? The answer would be yes... I think, because of the profession I am in, and my knowledge of the disease, I'm not that afraid of it. I am HIV negative, just to clear the air... Why??? well because I don't want to spread the stigma, I wouldn't want someone to reject me on the basis that I have HIV, which is exactly what people do to me, because I don't have a "sexually appetising body". I also wouldn't want to miss out on a perfectly wonderful experience of love and romance with a person that may potentially be my soul mate...

I really meant what I said in Kyle's make believe scenario land: " I don't mind, love is blind, just like HIV/Aids..."

Love Lace out

4 comments:

  1. I would never of thought of fridge-hood (good one) Why is it that people when they are bored will keep checking the fridge & nothing has changed since the last time they checked.

    Love is not blind, so take your shades off they are distorting your view. Also in a blind date situation, if you don't have the sexually attractive physique then they usually refer to a person as having character. (why is that?) Is it because you don't hit the mark in the looks department so then they try & make you look better in another.

    Keep on trying in the dating game. You have a very good imagination, so win them over with your "character", from your posts here it sounds like you are more than capable of doing it. Looks is only first impression, it does not mean for keeps. So if you can get your foot in the door with your personality then they are good as keeps :)

    HIV should not be a issue, it depends on the person & if the two of you click so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kemptoo :)

    I can assure you that love is very blind... My 32 year old aunt (who happend to be a mother) is getting married to a guy who's 21...

    My sister is in love with a complete asshole...

    My mom and dad are complete miss matches, but they are each others soul mates...

    Love is blind, lust is spectacle that only sees what it wants to see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, different strokes for different folks. You don't paint a pretty picture of the family. If they are happy together then let them be.

    Your mom & dad sound like a good example of opposites attract.

    Ultimately you are not going to live with these people. You need to find a "asshole" of your own now to spend the rest of your life with. Patience & persistence is a virtue, it will happen in time :)

    Stay well
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess dating a person who is HIV positive asks you be to be sure in yourself. It's about trusting that you will be ok to handle a scary situation. I will admit for me, the fear if what I can handle outweighs the trust.

    But there is the other side of me that says do we really know the person we take home or let into our lives physically? I mean we go on someone saying they are negative without medical tests to prove it! So the difference, some are honest and some are not. It comes down to know that you can handle scary situations.

    Anyhoo, on the Vampire Diaries, Tyler's uncle was way hotter. Pity he had to die! Sigh xoxo

    ReplyDelete